Monday, October 6, 2008

SHARPIE!!!!!

I rarely spank my kids but today Amelia got it! I am tending a friends kids today (all day) and so after a tiring morning I put everyone down for a nap. Or so I thought, Amelia was in the craft room as her bed was being used, so after I got Jamin to sleep I thought I heard a noise and yep it was Amelia. She had done some cutting and used a Sharpie to color on my white board. I was mad but kept everything cool and calm and explained in a loving way that we don't do those things. I let her get up, she obviously wasn't tired (which always is frustrating to lose my only time of the day which is just mine) but after conference yesterday I was determined to enjoy my children and I really tried to recognize that childhood flies by so fast. So I gave her a snack and put the TV on for her and went in the living room to finish my book. After about twenty minutes I walked back to the kitchen and saw her covering herself (in a brand new shirt!!!) and my table in a pink Sharpie! Where did she find two in one day?! My table is only a year old, so I truly lost it and three spanks and a ten minute time out not to mention a bit of yelling I finally am calm enough to post my frustrations. Does anyone know how to get sharpie off a table top without sanding it down and starting over?

7 comments:

tami said...

Oh, Michele, I don't know how to get sharpie out, but I know exactly how you feel! I have assorted sharpie drawings throughout my house. I'm so sorry your day has been so rough.

Rachel said...

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers will do WONDERS! We've used them to take permanent marker off of many an oops. They are a mommy must have!!! Just wet and wipe gently and seriously it will come up. Good luck!

Jamie and Lindsey said...

Oh yeah I can relate! Alise drew all over my kitchen cuboards with a black sharpie when we fist bought this house (brand new I might add). I had the same reaction! I did end up taking a magic eraser to it and it came off with a little scrubbing, however I have to warn you that when you rub to much it turns a little white. No one can tell she did it now except if you look really close, so it was worth it to me to use one. Good Luck!

Reianna said...

Bummer...I would try rubbing alcohol but i don't know if it will ruin the table top. I have never tried the magic eraser thing so maybe thats a better idea. Good luck...

cambridgeclan said...

I keep my sharpies up in a high cuboard. Good luck and remember, some day you might laugh:)

Natasha said...

I can totally relate tayler has used sharpie many a times as well as Aubrie and the only thing I have found that works is the magic eraser I love those things and keep them on hand always for times like these. Good luck.

Marcy said...

When we were moving, Reianna and I caught Courtney with a black sharpie. She had colored on her bedspread, several books and my laptop computer. We got most of it to a dull black line. The next day I opened my laptop and discovered she had colored all over the screen! The rubbing alchohol worked to get it to a dull line (but I wouldn't use that on your table). Then one day, I came to my computer (after my brother had used it) and the lines were gone! He had used the spray that is the white board cleaner and it had just wiped off! I would google it for the table...I LOVE ideas from there and all the ones I've tried have worked great!